New federal reporting details
As of November 1, 2018, all written MAID requests and procedures must be reported to Health Canada.
Please see the following documents and websites for further information.
|Province/territory||Type of reporting||Details|
|British Columbia||Provincial||Contact the BC Ministry of Health - Medical Assistance in Dying Oversight Unit|
◦ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
◦ Phone: 778-698-7497
|Northwest Territory||Territorial||Providers will be required to fax all required MAID forms to:
NWT MAID Review Committee
Department of Health and Social Services
Government of the Northwest Territories
Phone: 867-767-9062 ext. 49190
Secure Fax: 867-873-2315
Office hours: 8:30am - 5:00pm, Monday to Friday
More information about MAID, including information on reporting requirements is available:
- For the Public: www.maidnwt.com
- For Health Professionals: https://www.hss.gov.nt.ca/professionals/tools/medical-assistance-dying-maid (secure log-in web site)
- You report to the Chief Coroner of Ontario if you provide MAID by administering a substance, or providing or prescribing a substance for self-administration, and the patient dies from MAID.
- For all other cases where a report is required, you report to the federal Minister of Health through the Canadian MAID Data Collection Portal/Portail canadien de collecte de données relatives à l’aide médicale à mourir.
- Pharmacists in Ontario always report to the federal Minister of Health through the Canadian MAID Data Collection Portal/Portail canadien de collecte de données relatives à l’aide médicale à mourir.
- Reporting a MAID Death (Must be reported by calling the Office of the Chief Coroner for Ontario's Provincial Dispatch - no email). Phone: 416-314-4100 / 1-855-299-4100 (Toll Free) (Hours of Operation: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- General Inquiries:
◦ Phone: 1-877-991-9959 (Hours of Operation: 8:30am-4:30pm)
◦ Email: General Inquiries Only: email@example.com
|Quebec||Unclear||Initial direction was for dual reporting to both province and federal Minister of Health but recent communication from the College of Physicians is recommending to report only to province. We recommend practitioners check with the College +/- CMPA.|
|Saskatchewan||Provincial||Call the Provincial MAID Program: 1-833-473-6243|
|Manitoba||Federal||Report to the federal Minister of Health through the Canadian MAID Data Collection Portal/Portail canadien de collecte de données relatives à l’aide médicale à mourir.|
*For Nova Scotia: practitioners may also be required to report provincially – please check with your local contact person/organization.
|Newfoundland and Labrador|
|Prince Edward Island|
For those practitioners and pharmacists using federal reporting please see the following checklists and summary of information required for reporting: